Well, hello there!

Well, hello there!
Matt & I in Costa Rica over Christmas...So beautiful there!
It's simple. Really. We're a young married couple that loves cooking together. We always try to eat healthy and, if it's simple and doesn't break the bank, we're into that, too! We hope you'll visit often and tell us what you think about what we're cooking! We'd love to hear from you. Drop us a note, a suggestion or a recipe!













Monday, March 1, 2010

spaghetti-oh!

Seriously, who doesn't LOVE spaghetti?
I've been eating spaghetti my whole life, and I'm not about to stop. Matt loves it, too. Although, I confessed as we were eating the yummy pasta and tomato sauce that, when I was growing up, I typically did not eat the sauce. I usually just put it on the side of my plate and ate my pasta sans sauce but instead with melted butter, salt and pepper. Oh how things have changed! I love full-on spaghetti. The whole deal.

Spaghetti is a classic, right? Isn't it crazy how something so universal can be made so many different ways? Well, here's how we make it:

Turkey Spaghetti

INGREDIENTS
1 Lb. 93/7 lean ground turkey (there is almost no fat!), fresh, or if frozen, thawed
(2) 8 oz. cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/2 Small can Italian style tomato paste
1 16 oz. can Italian style stewed tomatoes
3 Garlic cloves, halved
1 Tsp. dried oregano
1 Tsp. garlic powder
Olive oil, to coat skillet (or just use a cooking spray)
1 Celery stalk, chopped
1 Large slice red onion, chopped
1/2 - 2/3 Package whole-wheat spaghetti, prepare as directed on package
2 Tsp. shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese to top

DIRECTIONS
Prepare pasta as directed on package (add a few drops of olive oil to water to avoid pasta sticking to each other), drain and place in a glass serving bowl
Coat a large skillet with olive oil or cooking spray, add ground turkey
Sprinkle with 1/2 Tsp. both dried oregano and garlic powder
Cook until turkey is done, remove from heat and place in the pot you cooked the pasta in
In the same skillet, re-coat with olive oil or cooking spray, add celery, garlic halves and red onion, sautee until onions start to become translucent (about 5 mins)
Add sauteed veggies to turkey, heat over medium-high
Add remaining ingredients to pot, stir until everything is fully mixed
Place 1 serving of pasta into a deep bowl, or onto a plate, top with desired amount of spaghetti sauce and 1 Tsp. parmesan or mozzarella, enjoy!

It's seriously delicious and seriously good for you. Seriously.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, so I hate to tell you this. But, me.
    I don't like spaghetti. I like the sauce, any kind of sauce and every other type of pasta, except spaghetti (and angel hair). I know that even though shapes vary the ingredients are the same, I just don't like it and never have. I still make it for Brian sometimes, but...well there you have it. A little known fact about me, I am the only person in the world who does not like spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!!! That's so funny! I actually came accross a person the other day who hates it, too. It's more the sauce than anything. They won't eat anything tomato based!!! It's OK. I'm not judging you, lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make my "used-to-be-famous" ultra spicy spaghetti!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jess, it's STILL famous in my book!

    ReplyDelete