Well, hello there!

Well, hello there!
Matt & I in Costa Rica over Christmas...So beautiful there!
It's simple. Really. We're a young married couple that loves cooking together. We always try to eat healthy and, if it's simple and doesn't break the bank, we're into that, too! We hope you'll visit often and tell us what you think about what we're cooking! We'd love to hear from you. Drop us a note, a suggestion or a recipe!













Wednesday, January 19, 2011

thank you, cooking light.

Does anyone ever watch the Jimmy Fallon Show? You know that segment called "Thank You Notes"? Never mind. It's funny. Consider this my thank you note to Cooking Light magazine. It goes something like this "Thank you, Cooking Light, for making me look like super-wife for cooking this stew, when really I was stressed out and looking nothing like super-wife running frantic through Kroger in 35 degree weather wearing running shorts." No, seriously...you should have seen me.
OK, no more time for expressing my dreams of having my own TV show... I promised the recipe, right? Well, here it is!

Pork & Hominy Stew

What you'll need:

~2 Tbs. chile powder
~2 Tsp. dried oregano
~1 1/2 Tsp. paprika
~1/2 Tsp. cumin
~1/2 Tsp. salt
~1 - 1 1/2 lbs. pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2" pieces (I used pork loin boneless chops. Just as good and about 1/3 the cost!)
~1 Tbs. olive oil
~2 C. chopped onion
~1 1/2 C. chopped green bell pepper
~3 Cloves minced garlic
~2 1/2 C. fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
~2 14 Oz. cans hominy, drained
~1 14.5 Oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used 'salsa ready', which is almost a puree'...on accident. Delicious.)

What to do:

~Combine the first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl and remove 1 1/2 Tsp. and set aside
~Place pork into the bowl and turn to fully coat pork in the spice mix
~Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat and add the pork to pot and cook for 5 mins., or until fully browned. Stir occasionally, to ensure all sides are browned.
~Remove the pork and add the remaining oil to pot.
~Add the onion, pepper and garlic and saute' for about 5 mins.
~Place pork back in pot, along with the reserved spice mix, chicken broth, hominy and tomatoes and bring to a boil
~Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 mins

I was telling Matt what was in it. I got the part about the tomatoes and said I bought the wrong kind and he abruptly interrupted me and said "Don't change anything. Nothing. This is incredible. We need to write this in our recipe journal...and have it again. SOON."

Oh Matt, you are precious. And thanks for thinking I'm Super-Wife, even if I sport an over sized sweatshirt and running shorts in 35 degree weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment