Well, hello there!

Well, hello there!
Matt & I in Costa Rica over Christmas...So beautiful there!
It's simple. Really. We're a young married couple that loves cooking together. We always try to eat healthy and, if it's simple and doesn't break the bank, we're into that, too! We hope you'll visit often and tell us what you think about what we're cooking! We'd love to hear from you. Drop us a note, a suggestion or a recipe!













Thursday, September 9, 2010

way back when. boston turned ten.


It rhymes.It kinda sounds like a Dr. Suess book. You know you laughed a little when you read the title. Or maybe you didn't, in which case I'd say you're not having the BEST day. In which case this recipe is for you! Who doesn't like ice cream? If you don't, now is not the time, nor is this blog the place to say so. I won't have any of that. If you're allergic, I understand...but you still probably like it. ANYWAY. Casey & Mandi were in town back in February for a little visit. Since B's birthday, the BIG 1-0 was in March, we figured we'd throw him a little Morgan Family Birthday Bonanza. Yep, I said "Bonanza". He specifically requested an ice cream cake. Specifically chocolate cake. Specifically chocolate ice cream. Specifically chocolate syrup. Very specific indeed! Not unlike myself, I heard the request and said "I'll make it!". Hmmm...What was I thinking? I'd never made an ice cream cake before. Ever. There's a first time for everything. And as most of you know, one of the biggest joys in our lives is our seven (7) nieces and nephews! I was not about to let some ice cream joint and their ridiculously overpriced (and honestly ridiculously good) cake steal the birthday show. No sir, or ma'am. Whatever. I was on a mission. As usual. I found, what I thought seemed to be a good recipe online and tweaked it to be more healthy. I didn't tell the birthday boy, though! Look below for the how-to!

Mookie's Ice Cream Dig-Out Cake

What you'll need:
~Boxed cake mix of your choice, prepared according to directions (I substituted the butter/oil with unsweetened apple sauce and used all egg white in place of whole eggs, and also used a lower-sugar mix)
~1/4 Gallon ice cream of your choice (I used Kroger brand no added sugar 1/2 fat chocolate)
~Reduced-sugar chocolate syrup
~Powdered sugar for dusting
~Birthday candles, of course. Or if it's no one's birthday, throw some sprinkles or pecans or something on top.

What to do:
~Preheat oven according to cake mix directions & place batter in a greased bundt pan
~Once cake is finished, remove from oven and let cool on a plate
~Once cooled, take a bread knife and cut the top 1/4 - 1/3 of the cake off all the way around, in one piece
~With a large spoon, dig out a ditch, if you will, all the way aruond the remainder of the cake (you don't need the stuff you dug out for the cake, so eat it!)
~Fill the ditch with softened ice cream and place the top back on and keep in the freezer until about 10 minutes before serving.
~Top with chocolate syrup and powdered sugar and serve (and enjoy, of course!!!)

The verdict? Well, all I can tell you is, the cake got eaten. All of it. And, there was one extremely happy, chocolate-loving ten-year-old! All that matters to us!

*NOTE: I personally think it would be tasty with a combo like spice cake with butter pecan ice cream. Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment