Well, hello there!

Well, hello there!
Matt & I in Costa Rica over Christmas...So beautiful there!
It's simple. Really. We're a young married couple that loves cooking together. We always try to eat healthy and, if it's simple and doesn't break the bank, we're into that, too! We hope you'll visit often and tell us what you think about what we're cooking! We'd love to hear from you. Drop us a note, a suggestion or a recipe!













Wednesday, September 8, 2010

you only think it's guacamole.


Uh huh. You read that right. It's not guacamole. It's pea puree'!!! Crazy to think that a pea can replace an avocado, isn't it? And don't get me wrong, I love avocados. A lot. However, if you're wishing for a lighter option of that green deliciousness that you somehow eat the ENTIRE bowl of, every time, this is the recipe for you (and you, and you, too). OK, OK, and you, too. :-)
We were at Matt's aunt and uncle's for dinner one night. His cousin, Kara made dinner for us. So, so good. The appetizer, the pea puree', was for sure one of the highlights! It's basically the Italian version of guac, but some people, namely Matt's uncle, didn't know the difference! Yep, it's THAT good. Super duper easy, too. In fact, If you happen to be the proud owner of a GiaDa De Laurentiis cookbook, you might just have this recipe at home. I, however, do not have any of her cookbooks (SIGH & sad face) so Kara rambled off the ingredients to me and I kinda-sorta remembered them. So, a few days later, I was craving, craving craving a snack and wanted to make sure it was healthy. After all, I was about half an hour from heading out to the gym. Something light indeed it would be. Ah ha! I recalled buying a random bag of frozen green peas a week or so back. Matt & I, while grocery shopping sans a list (UGH) thought "you know, frozen peas just seems like something a family should have in their freezer at all times", so we grabbed a bag and tossed them into the cart. Probably the best decision of that day. OK, at least of that shopping trip. OK, at least of the frozen food aisle. PHEW! Enough of that.
Anyway, long story even longer, the frozen peas were like a beacon in the night, er, uh, day for me and so I semi-recalled the ingredients that I thought Kara had said and that I most definitely remembered tasting and I blended away! You're probably thinking "why didn't she just Google it, like she does every other friggin' thing?!?" Well, strangely enough, I think our laptop was in the shop that day. Sad day. But I made it happy with pea puree'!!! Alright. Look below for the how-to!

What you'll need:
1 small bag frozen peas, thawed
4 Tbs. olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, or about 1 Tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp. each salt & pepper (or more if you'd like)
2 Tbs. fresh shaved Parmesan cheese

What to do:
In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
Serve in crusty bread or, my personal favorite, with baby carrots, tomato wedges, celery & cucumber.

Oh-la-la

No comments:

Post a Comment